Ballwin Post 6274 organized early in the spring of 1946. The original meeting place was the United Neighbors Building at the northeast corner of Holloway and Manchester Roads. It had an open-air dance hall behind the building that was often used for dances and other social activities. Meetings were held monthly. After two organizational meetings, we requested a charter from the National Veterans of Foreign Wars Organization. The first Commander was Dutch Schupman and the first Quartermaster was Dick Deibel. The post was originally supported by 50/50 raffles and other approved gambling funds.

 The post saved enough money to purchase the old Stringtown School and 0.8 acres located northeast of Clayton and Baxter Roads after several years meeting at the United Neighbors Building. The post paid $6,700 for the one room schoolhouse which needed a great deal of work. The building at the time did not have any indoor plumbing. The renovations and expansion of the building was primarily because of the donated efforts of VFW Post 6274 members who were most tradesmen (carpenters, plumbers, concrete workers, and other helpers). Over the years the post hosted Christmas parties, BBQs, hobo parties, kids’ parties, and other events. After a little over 20 years of use, the Stringtown School location was sold.

 Post 6274 met in Holy Infant school (and occasionally a local bar) for the next 2 years. The post’s current location of 115 Mimosa Lane was purchased in 1974 and the current building was constructed under by member and contractor Jordan Ridgely. The bar and canteen were added to the building in 1985 by member Bob Autry.

 Ed Sloan and Vern Harness gathered and compiled the above information in celebration of Ballwin Post 6274’s 50th Anniversary in 1996.

 Post 6274 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BallwinVFW/